One of the reasons Cold Smoke Coffeehouse was started was to give back internationally and locally. The way we are currently giving back internationally is through El Porvenir, an incredible organization who seeks to provide clean water and sanitation to the people of Nicaragua. They also provide education on health and hygiene as well as reforestation. One of the cool things about El Porvenir is that it partners with small communities that other organizations ignore because the projects aren’t cost effective or the communities are too remote. The project that we are supporting through El Porvenir is the Tierra Amarilla Watershed Project. Because of your purchases at Cold Smoke, we can help to provide daily necessities, that we take for granted, to the people in Tierra Amarilla, Nicaragua.
Tierra Amarilla Watershed:
We are honored to report on the watershed management work made possible by the funding of YOU our customers in partnership with the community of Tierra Amarilla. In 2015 the community was able to:
- Plant 3,000 trees, all native species that hold water and reduce soil erosion
- Construct 30 dykes through community participation
- Set aside two acres of land for natural regeneration
- Receive 500 fruit trees to help feed the community
Some of the principle activities that were carried out are as follows:
- Identify leaders for the water committee and organize community participation.
- Provide training and technical assistance to community in construction, maintenance and repair of wells (upkeep and repair of pumps, proper cleaning of wells, water testing and treatment).
- Rehabilitate wells: sanitize inside, build concrete skirt and drainage channel, install rope pump, and fence the well area to keep animals out.
- Carry out household visits and community workshops to help the community to identify risky behaviors and learn proper hygiene practices.
We are hoping that our partnership with El Porvenir in 2016 brings much more work to Tierra Amarilla, including:
a pedestrian bridge for children to pass a stream so they can access their school
the addition erosion control grasses, and of course, more trees
Thank you for your continued support of Cold Smoke! We are thankful for each and every customer that we have and are hopeful that we will continue to be able to make an impact on our community, and our world, together!
For more information on El Porvenir and their impact on Nicaragua, please visit their website at www.elporvenir.org.